Enjoy this very rich pasta made in a creamy white sauce with spinach and mushroom to add to the delicious flavor. I love trying different pastas and you will get to see some of my favourite pasta recipes, with different tastes and combinations in the weeks to come…
Penne makes an excellent and versatile pasta as its hollow center allows it to hold sauce, while the angular ends act as scoops. The best penne is usually made with durum wheat. Durum wheat penne will remain chewy and resilient through the cooking process, even if slightly overcooked, whereas pasta made with softer wheat will tend to fall apart. Durum is the hardest of all wheats. Its density, combined with its high protein content and gluten strength, make durum the wheat of choice for producing premium pasta products.
1 cup penne pasta (serves 2 people)
2 tablespoon butter
Olive to sprinkle
1 tablespoon corn flour
2 tablespoon plain flour
¾ cup milk
Pinch of black pepper
¼ teaspoon oregano
¼ teaspoon basil
Salt to taste
1 bowl of freshly chopped spinach
1 bowl of freshly chopped mushrooms
½ cup whipped cream (optional)
Cooking Method White Sauce
1. Take a pan and let it heat. Add butter to the pan and as it starts to melt add the corn flour and plain flour. Stir it for a minute on medium heat.
2. Now add the milk to it and stir well for 3-5 minutes. Mix it well to remove any lumps formed.
3. Add oregano, basil , salt and black pepper to the sauce and mix again. Cook for another 1 minute or so.
4. White sauce is now ready.
Cooking Method for Pasta
1. Put the penne to boil adding 2 cups of water. Let it boil for 10 minutes on medium heat.
2. After 10 minutes check if the penne has boiled nicely. Drain water and wash it nicely. Keep this aside.
3. Now, take another pan and sprinkle some olive oil in it. Add the chopped mushroom and spinach and stir nicely. Sprinkle some salt over it and mix. Cover the lid and let the vegetables cook on medium heat for 10 minutes.
4. Once the mushroom and spinach is cooked, mix the boiled penne into it.
5. Now add your white sauce to the pasta and mix nicely. Stir for a minute or so on medium heat.
6. Finally add your cream (optional) to the pasta and mix well.
7. Cover the lid for a minute or two and keep the pasta aside.
8. Your delicious Creamy Spinach and Mushroom Pasta is now ready to be served.