Here’s another delicious breakfast recipe from my mum’s kitchen, also known as ‘Semolina on toast’. It is an innovative way to enjoy the Uttapam, which is basically a south Indian recipe. Diced vegetables like onion, tomato, capsicum and cabbage are mixed with semolina and yoghurt and toasted over a bread. It is a very easy and quick way to enjoy a scrumptious and healthy breakfast, especially when you are running out of ideas…
Ingredients (serves 2-3)
7-8 slices of bread
¼ cup semolina (sooji)
¾ cup yoghurt
Oil for greasing
Few Curry leaves
1 finely chopped onion
1 finely chopped tomato
1 finely chopped capsicum
1 small bowl of finely chopped cabbage
1-2 Chopped Green Chillies
Chopped Coriander (Cilantro)
Salt to taste
Pinch of turmeric powder
1. Take a mixing bowl to prepare the batter. Mix together semolina, yoghurt, curry leaves, onion, tomato, cabbage, capsicum, coriander leaves, salt, turmeric powder and green chillies to make a smooth batter. Add little milk, if required, to make the batter smooth. Do not add water. Keep aside for five minutes.
2. Now take a grill pan/non-stick pan and let it heat. Sprinkle some oil to grease.
3. Place a slice of bread and let it toast on one side.
4. Flip it and spread some batter over it. Turn it upside down again and sprinkle some oil on the corners. Keep the heat on medium and let it cook for 2-3 minutes until it looks golden brown on the top. Press it gently, in between, so that it cooks nicely.
5. Repeat the procedure for the rest of the bread slices.
6. Serve your yummy bread uttapam hot with tomato ketchup or any chutney.