This could be one of the simplest yet delicious recipes on my blog. Just 30 minutes and it was done...Hmmm I am still salivating!! A Bruschetta is an antipasto (first course of an Italian meal) and consists of roasted bread rubbed with garlic and topped with extra-virgin olive oil, salt and pepper. Variations may include toppings of spicy red pepper, tomato, vegetables, beans, cured meat, or cheese. The most popular recipe outside of Italy involves basil, fresh tomato, garlic and onion or mozzarella. In this recipe of the Bruschetta I used red kidney beans, onion and bell pepper for the topping...
Ingredients (serves 2-3)
8-9 slices of a baguette French bread or similar Italian bread
½ cup boiled red kidney beans (with salt)
2 tablespoons tomato ketchup
Salt to taste
Black Pepper to taste
Lemon juice to taste
Finely chopped Garlic
1 finely chopped onion
1 finely chopped capsicum (I used yellow bell pepper)
1 green chilli (optional)
Freshly chopped parsley/coriander
Olive Oil/Butter to grease
1. Preheat the oven at 200 degrees Celsius for 10 minutes.
|The famous French Baguette bread|
2.Take a baking tray and place the sliced Baguette on it. Sprinkle some olive oil over the slices and place in the oven for 15-20 minutes until the slices toast light golden brown and crisp.
3. To prepare the topping – Take a sauce pan and add some olive oil into it. Once the oil is hot add your chopped onion, garlic and green chilli (optional) and stir fry for 2 minutes. Now add your chopped bell pepper and stir for another minute. Sprinkle some salt and black pepper and mix well. Keep aside.
4. Now in a bowl add the boiled kidney beans. Mix the tomato ketchup into it and also add some lemon juice for that tangy flavor. Also mix then your chopped parsley/coriander.
5. Once the baguette slices are light golden brown remove them from the oven. Rub a slice of garlic on each bread (optional). Now add your toppings – Stir fried Onion, bell pepper and red kidney beans mix.
6. Serve your yummy Bean Bruschetta hot.