It was Friday evening as usual, the best day of the week when me and my husband enjoy some good food with a movie, and I wanted to try this wonderful recipe I once ate at a popular restaurant in US. Do you know Stromboli is nothing but a rolled pizza? Many American pizza shops serve a Stromboli using pizza dough that is folded in half with fillings. Simple isn't it? Check the recipe out…
Ingredients (for the base - same as the pizza dough)
2 cups whole wheat flour (makes 2 medium sized pizzas)(I chose whole wheat flour, you can also make it using the plain flour)
2 teaspoons sugar
2 tablespoon olive oil
2 teaspoons active dry yeast
Half cup warm water
Salt to taste
For the fillings (Some suggestions)
1 finely chopped Onion
1 chopped green/yellow/red bell pepper
1 grated carrot
3 tablespoon pizza sauce
Pinch of black pepper
Salt to taste
Cooking Method for the Base (same as making the pizza dough)
1.In a container add 2 cups of whole wheat flour. Add salt according to taste.
2. In a separate bowl mix 2 teaspoons of yeast and sugar with ½ cup of warm water. Stir well to avoid any lumps. (Make sure the water is not hot or else it will kill the yeast). Leave this aside for 10 minutes. You will see froth getting formed.
3. After 10 minutes, add the yeast mixture to the wheat flour and stir well. Add a tablespoon of oil to the mixture.
4. Now, knead the flour to make a dough. Add water as and when required to make the dough. Knead the dough for at least 10 minutes.
5. Place the dough in a greased container. Cover it with a wet cloth and keep aside in a warm place for 1-2 hours until the dough doubles in size. (You can preheat the oven and keep the container inside it).
6. Once the dough is ready, punch it and rub it gently to make it smoother.
7. Now divide it into 2 portions (depending upon how small or big you want the size of the Stromboli).
8. Take a dough portion and make a round shape by either rolling or pressing gently in a greased cake baking pan.
9. Your base is now ready.
Final Preparation with Fillings
1. Spread the pizza sauce over the base. (optional)
2. Also spread gently some butter over it. (optional)
3. Now spread your chopped veggies – onion, capsicum, carrot and broccoli, on one side. Sprinkle some salt and black pepper over the veggies.
5. Fold the base over and pinch ends and sides together. Poke some slits on the top and brush some melted butter on it.
6. Now, bake it in a preheated oven at 190 degrees for 20-25 minutes until light brown.
7. Remove from oven and let it cool for about 5 minutes. Cut into pieces and serve.
Don't forget to follow me on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/pages/Payals-Cafe/124835077543541